Prof Sunny Jose has an MPhil in Applied Economics and PhD in Economics, both from Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, through the Centre for Development Studies, Thiruvananthapuram. His current research engages with a) Public Health and Nutrition, b) Women's Work and Well-being, c) Poverty, Inequality and Public Policy, d) Livelihoods and Social Mobility of Fisher Communities. He has published articles in journals of repute, such as Feminist Economics, Economic and Political Weekly, and the Indian Journal of Gender Studies. He has secured research grants from international and national organisations, including Cardiff University, International Labour Organisation and Azim Premji Foundation. His commentaries have appeared in leading newspapers like The Indian Express and The Hindu. He has previously worked in reputed institutes, such as Tata Institute of Social Sciences and Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani.
Public Health and Nutrition, Women's Work and Well-being, Poverty, Inequality and Public Policy, Livelihoods and Social Mobility of Fisher Communities and Impacts of Covid-19 on Education and Food and Nutrition Security.
A. Journals (Peer- reviewed)
- 2020, “Of Access and Inclusivity: Digital Divide in Online Education”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 55, No. 36, pp. 23-26 (Co-authored).
- 2019, “Child Undernutrition in India: A Tale of Two Surveys”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 54, No. 49, pp. 15-18.
- 2019, “New Reservation Policy: Is it Empirically Justifiable?”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 54, No. 23, pp. 12-14 (Co-authored).
- 2018, “Child Undernutrition in India: Assessment of Prevalence, Progress and Disparities”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 53, No. 48, pp. 63-70 (Co-authored).
- 2016, “Are Indian Adults Ethnically Predisposed to Low Body Mass Index?”, Journal of Social and Economic Studies, Vol. 24, Nos. 1-2.
- 2015, “Progress in Reducing Child Under-nutrition: Evidence from Maharashtra”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 50, No. 3 (January 17), pp. 23-26 (Co-authored).
- 2014, “Adult Undernutrition in India: Ethnicity or Poverty?”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 49, No. 18 (May 3), pp. 72-74.
- 2012, “Women’s Paid Work and Well-being in Rajasthan”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 47, No. 45 (November 10), pp. 48-55.
- 2011, “Understanding Women’s Work Using Time-Use Statistics: The Case of India”, Feminist Economics, Vol. 17, No. 4, pp. 67-92 (Co-authored).
- 2011, “Adult Undernutrition in India: Is There a Huge Gender Gap?” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 46, No. 29 (July 16), pp. 95-102.
- 2010, “Social Infrastructure and Women’s Undernutrition” Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 45, No. 13 (March 27-April 2), pp. 83-89 (Co-authored).
- 2008, “Paid Employment and Female Autonomy in India: Issues and Evidence”, Indian Journal of Labour Economics, Vol. 51, No. 3 (July-September), pp. 397-08.
- 2008, “A Factsheet on Women’s Malnutrition in India”, Economic and Political Weekly, Vol. 43, No. 33 (August 16-22), pp. 61-67 (Co-authored).
- 2008, “Are Good Times Good for Women? Alarming Increase in Women’s Malnutrition in India,” Indian Journal of Gender Studies, Vol. 15, No. 1 (January-March), pp. 127-140.
- 2003, “Gender Bias in Resource Allocation in India: Where do Household Models and Empirical Evidence Intersect?,” Indian Journal of Gender Studies, Vol. 10, No. 3 (September-December), pp. 405-429.
B. Book Chapters
- 2020, “Closing Access Loop: Situating Post-infrastructural Assurance Circumstances in Rural Sanitation”, in Ghosh, Sudhan Kumar (ed) “Solid Waste Policies and Strategies: Issues, Challenges and Case Studies”, pp. 73-83, Springer (co-authored with Kopal Khare).
- 2010, “Women, Paid Work and Empowerment in India”, in Azim, Firdous and Maheen Sultan (eds.) “Mapping Women’s Empowerment: Experiences from Bangladesh, India and Pakistan”, pp. 153-177, University Press and BRAC Development Institute, Dhaka.
- 2008, “Poverty, Malnutrition and Mortality in South Asia: A Review of Evidence and Pathways”, in K. Navaneetham, A. Dharmalingam and G. Caselli, (eds.), Poverty, Nutrition and Mortality Nexus: A Comparative Perspective, pp. 15-32, Committee for International Cooperation in National Research in Demography (CICRED), Paris, France (jointly with K. Navaneetham and A. Dharmalingam).
C. Opinion Pieces (OP-ED)
- 18th October 2021, “Alarming Hunger or Statistical Artefact”, in The Hindu newspaper.
- 16th October 2021, “An Unfair Test”, in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 26th April 2021, “Where We Went Wrong”, in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 12th January 2021, “A Step Back in Gender Equality”, in The Hindu newspaper.
- 19th December 2020, The Kids Are Not Alright” in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 25th October 2020, “Mind the Gap” in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 31st August 2020, “The Age Trap”, in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 22nd July 2020, “How the Pandemics Strengthens Patriarchy?”, in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 18th June 2020, “Mind the Digital Gap”, in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 20th November 2019, “Turning the Policy Focus to Child Undernutrition”, in The Hindu newspaper.
- 1st May 2019, “Welfare for Quality”, in The Indian Express newspaper.
- 11th April 2019, “Is There a Problem with the 10% Quota?”, in The Hindu newspaper.
D. Discussion Papers
- 2020, “Policy Brief on the Status of Nutrition of Adolescents in Tamil Nadu”, UNICEF, Tamil Nadu.
- 2010, “Gender Gap in Adult Malnutrition: How Does India Fare?”, Working Paper No.152, Institute of Development Studies, Jaipur.
- 2009, “Asset Creation and Local Economy Under NREGS: Scope and Challenges”, Working Paper No. 193, Gujarat Institute of Development Research, Ahmedabad (jointly with Amita Shah).
- 2007, “Women, Paid Work and Empowerment in India: A Review of Evidence andIssues,” Occasional Paper No. 48, Centre for Women’s Development Studies, New Delhi.
Recent Research Projects
- March 2020 to April 2021, “Assessing Multi-dimensional Poverty in India for the Sustainable Development Goals: Adaptation and Use of the Consensual Approach in South India”, jointly with Shailen Nady and Marco Pomati, Cardiff University, UK (Rs 33 lakhs).
- October 2018 to December 2020, "Women’s Employment, Interstate Variations, and Time-use: A Comparative Study of Bihar and Andhra Pradesh" Research Grant from Azim Premji University, Bangaluru, India (Rs. 11,88,000, jointly with Bheemeshwar Reddy).
Delivered a key note presentation on “Revitalising Nutrition Security” (invited paper)at the Meeting of the Core Group on Right to Food and Nutrition, National Human Rights Commission of India on 10th August 2021.
Delivered a presentation on “Adolescent Nutrition: A Review of the Situation in Tamil Nadu”, (invited paper) in a national workshop at Rajiv Gandhi National Institute for Youth Development, Sriperumbudur on 15th Nov 2019.
Awards and Fellowship
- ICSSR- CASS (Chinese Academy of Social Science) Bilateral Programme, 2014-15 for research on “Mining Closure and the Issue of Livelihood in China” at Institute of Industrial Economics, CASS, Beijing.
- ICSSR- NRCT (National Research Council of Thailand) research grant for 2010-11 for research on “Adaptation and Sustainable Livelihoods: Policy Implications in the Flood Affected Areas of Thailand” at Mahidol University, Bangkok.
- India Social Science Research Award 2009 by Canada’s International Development Research Centre (IDRC), Digital Empowerment Foundation (DEF) and India Development Foundation for the research work on ‘Adaptation to Drought in Orissa: A Challenging Hydro-climate under thematic category Climate Change and Adaptation’.
- ICSSR Fellowship for doing Ph.D at University of Hyderabad (1997-2002).