An economist by training Soumya's work focuses on the theory and praxis of intellectual property regimes such as geographical indications and its interplay in realizing distributive ‘rent’ to those communities engaged in artisanal mode of production form the core areas of research she undertakes. Her work is also reflective and interpretive of the global regimes of governance and the deep impact it has on the local. Her research work also focuses on the issues of marginality, especially disability focusing on access to education and employment.
Soumya holds a doctoral degree in economics from University of Hyderabad and she is a recipient of ICSSR Institutional Doctoral Fellowship from Centre for Economic and Social Studies. She has been Visiting Scholar at the German Development Institute, Bonn, Germany (July ? December 2007) under the Managing Global Governance Programme of the Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany; and at the India Studies Centre, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand (February 2012) under the ICSSR-NRCT Bilateral Exchange of Scholars Programme.
Intellectual Property Rights and Livelihoods, Disability Studies, Higher Education
- “Promise of One district, One Product,” The Hindu Business Line, 18 November, 2021. (Co-author).
- “Dragon Fruit, A Saviour for Kachchh Farmers,” The Hindu Business Line, 3 December 2021. (Co-author).
- Lalitha, N and Soumya Vinayan (2019): “Regional products and Rural Livelihoods: A Study on Geographical Indications from India”. New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Vinayan, Soumya and N. Lalitha (2021): “Farmlands of Gold”, Technology Stories, 9(1). Available at https://www.technologystories.org/farmlands-of-gold/.
- Lalitha, N, Madhusudan Bandi, Soumya Vinayan (2021): “Bhalia Wheat in Gujarat - Does Geographical Indication Registration Have a Role in Arresting The Decline?”, Journal of Social and Economic Development, (Published Online March 10). DOI:10.1007/s40847-020-00137-7. (Co-author).
- Sujit Kumar Mishra and Soumya Vinayan (2020): “Searching for Her Space: The Story of a Thappad", Economic and Political Weekly, 55(28-29): 209-210. (Co-author).
Lalitha, N and Soumya Vinayan (2018): “GIs for Protecting Agro-biodiversity and Promoting Rural Livelihoods: Status, Strategies and Way Forward”, Journal of Rural Development, 37 (3): 479-500. (Co-author).
- Lalitha, N and Soumya Vinayan (2018): ‘Geographical Indications and Farmers’ Welfare Role of State in Strengthening Governance’, Journal of Public Affairs and Change, 1 (2): 90-107. (Co-author).
- Kannabiran, Kalpana, Sujit Kumar Mishra, Soumya Vinayan and Jafar K (2018): ‘Education and Its Discontents: Investigating Barriers to Schooling among De-notified and Nomadic Communities’, Journal of Social Inclusion Studies, 4 (1): 80-103. (Co-author).
- Vinayan, Soumya (2017): ‘Geographical Indications in India: Issues and Challenges ? An Overview’, Journal of World Intellectual Property, 20 (3-4): 119-132.
- Lalitha, N and Soumya Vinayan (2016): ‘GI Label as an Agricultural Marketing Tool in India’, Indian Journal of Agricultural Marketing, 30 (2): 22-30. (Co-author).
- Soumya Vinayan (2012): “Intellectual Property Rights and the Handloom Sector: Challenges in Implementation of Geographical Indications Act”, Journal of Intellectual Property Rights, 17 (1): 55-63.
- Dev, S Mahendra, Shaik Galab, Prithvikar Reddy and Soumya Vinayan (2008): “The Economics of Handloom Weaving: A Field Study in Andhra Pradesh, Economic and Political Weekly, 43 (21): 43-51. (Co-author)
- Lalitha, N and Soumya Vinayan (2019): "Can Geographical Indications Add Value to Agribusiness in India?" in S S Kalamkar and H Sharma (Eds.) Emerging Global Economic Situation: Impact on Trade and Agribusiness in India, New Delhi: Allied Publishers, pp. 457-478. (Co-author).
- Lalitha, N and Soumya Vinayan (2018): “Geography and Crafts: Geographical Indications from South India’, Proceedings of the 12th World Congress of RSAI, p. 1397-1403. (ISBN 978-989-54216-0-2) (Co-author).
- Swaminathan, Padmini, Sujit Kumar Mishra and Soumya Vinayan (2018): ‘Literacy among Worker Population ? Does Gender Matter?’, in Kalpana Kannabiran, Padmini Swaminathan & J. Jeyranjan (Eds), Telangana Social development report 2018. Gender, Access and Well Being. Hyderabad: Council for Social Development. (Co-author).
- Kannabiran, Kalpana and Soumya Vinayan (2018): “Disability Rights in Higher Education: A Preliminary Investigation of Exclusion and Barriers in Indian Universities” in N V Varghese, Nidhi Sabharwal, Malish C M (eds.) India Higher Education Report 2016. New Delhi: Sage Publications. (Co-author).
- Swaminathan, Padmini, Sujit Kumar Mishra and Soumya Vinayan (2017): “Telangana state: Geography, economy and people. In Kalpana Kannabiran, Padmini Swaminathan & J. Jeyranjan (Eds), Telangana Social Development report 2017. Hyderabad: Council for Social Development. (Co-author).
- Kannabiran, Kalpana and Soumya Vinayan (2017): “Disablement in Higher Education: Mapping Barriers and Access in Indian Universities”, in Kalpana Kannabiran and Asha Hans (eds.) India Social Development Report 2016: Disability Rights Perspectives, New Delhi: Oxford University Press. (Co-author).
- Vinayan, Soumya (2017): “Urban Employment for Persons with Disabilities: A Study of Telangana”, in Kalpana Kannabiran and Asha Hans (eds.) India Social Development Report 2016: Disability Rights Perspectives, New Delhi: Oxford University Press.
- Vinayan, Soumya (2011): “Maternity and Employment: Policy Issues and Challenges” in R K Mishra and Jayasree Raveendran (eds.) Millennium Development Goals: The Indian Journey, New Delhi: Allied Publishers Private Limited, pp. 157-169.
Co-Project Director of the project titled Covid 19 Induced Vulnerabilities and Coping Strategies of Small Producers: Two Case Studies from Gujarat and Telangana sponsored by Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi (March 2021 - November 2021).
Co-Project Director of the project titled Geographical Indication Protected Agricultural Products from Select States of India: An Inquiry into the Economic, Livelihood and Institutional Aspects sponsored by the Indian Council of Social Science Research, New Delhi (March 2017 - January 2020).
Team Member, Telangana Social Development Report 2020, 2018 & 2017 under the State Government Grant to Council for Social Development
Project Director of the project titled Willingness to pay for GI products in India: The Case of Darjeeling tea and Pochampally Ikat sponsored by Council for Social Development under the Research Promotion Scheme of the Indian Council for Social Science Research (March 2015).
Project Director of the project titled Socio-economics of Geographical Indications in Handloom Industry: A Case Study of Pochampally sponsored by Indian Council for Social Science Research, New Delhi (September 2013).
Project Director of project titled Social Implications of Student Loans: A Case Study of Kerala sanctioned by Kerala State Higher Education Council, Thiruvananthapuram (September 2011).
SELECT SEMINAR/CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
- “COVID- 19 Pandemic: Experience and Response of the Horticultural Producers in Kutch, Gujarat” presented at the 81st Annual Conference of Indian Society of Agricultural Economics, hosted by School of Business and School of Economics under the Faculty of Management at Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University (SMVDU), Katra, Jammu & Kashmir, Union territory of India on 1- 3 December 2021. (Co-author)
- Invited Online paper presentation on "Food and Tradition: The Heritage Story of HyderabadiHaleem from India" at the International Conference on Agrifood Policies as Science and Technology Politics since 1850s (Knowledge, Environment and Society), September 26, 2021 organised by National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and York University, UK from September 24-26, 2021 (Co-author).
- Presented paper titled ‘Covid-19 and Online Education’ at the GITAM Annual Conference on Economics 2022-23 organised by GITAM School of Humanities and Social Sciences in collaboration with Council for Social Development, Hyderabad from November 24-25, 2022.
- Presented (Online) a paper titled ‘Farmer Collectives in the Era of Pandemic: Evidence from Two Horticultural Hubs of Gujarat, India’ at the ASFS / AFHVS Conference – Cultivating Connections, organised by University of Georgia, Athens, USA from May 18-21, 2022. (Co-author).
- Presented (Online) a paper titled ‘"Food and Tradition: The Heritage Story of Hyderabadi Haleem from India" at the International Conference on Agrifood Policies as Science and Technology Politics since 1850s (Knowledge, Environment and Society), September 26, 2021 organised by National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and York University, UK from September 24-26, 2021. (Co-author).
- Presented a paper titled ‘Mapping Disability in India: Gender Dimensions’, Conference on ‘Enabling Equal Opportunity: Looking at India’s Diversity through a Gender Lens’ organised by Maulana Azad National Urdu University and Centre for Development Policy and Practice, Hyderabad on October 16, 2020. (Co-author).
- Presented a paper titled ‘Cultivation of Bhalia Wheat- A Tradition in Decline?’ at the first ASFS / AFHVS Twitter Conference on July 23-25, 2020. (Co-author).
- Paper titled ‘Climate Change and Paddy Cultivation: The Relevance of GI tagged Pokkali rice from Kerala’ presented at the INSEE-CESS International Conference on Climate Change and Disasters: Challenges, Opportunities and Responses (Tenth INSEE Biennial Conference), November 6-8, 2019 at CESS, Hyderabad (Co-author).
- Paper presentation (on skype) titled ‘Geographical Indications, Crafts and Rural Livelihoods: Evidences from South India’ at Forum Origin, Diversity and Territories in Turin, Italy
WS 1. Origin-linked Products and Sustainable Rural Tourism (September 19-21, 2018) (Co-author).
- Invited paper presentation titled ‘Geographical Indications and Crafts Sector of India’ at the Seminar on Geographical Indications from India and Italy, organised by the Consulate General of Italy, Kolkata at ITC Sonar Bangla on July 13, 2018. (Co-author).
SELECT TRAINING PROGRAMMES ATTENDED
- Virtual Participant, UN Summer Academy 2020 - UN at 75: What Future we want organised by UNSSC Knowledge Centre for Sustainable Development, in cooperation with the German Federal Foreign Office, Foreign Service Academy, Training for International Diplomats (August 24-28, 2020).
- Participant, Alumni Spring School on Global Transformation towards Sustainability, organised by University of Bonn and German Development Institute, Bonn (April 1 ? 10, 2019).
- Participant, First Asia-Pacific workshop on Empirical Methods in Innovation, IP and Competition organized by Centre for Innovation, Intellectual Property and Competition (CIIPC), National Law University, New Delhi (March 9-11, 2017).
- Participant, 3rd SARNET (South Asia Research Network) Training Programme on 'Labour Economics: Theories, Methodologies and Research Issues' organised by Institute for Human Development, New Delhi in collaboration with ILO and IDRC-Canada from (October 27 - November 7, 2015).
- Participant of NAIP Sponsored National Training on "Science Policy and Technology Forecasting in Agriculture" conducted by National Academy of Agricultural Research and Management (NAARM), Hyderabad (January 16-25, 2012).
- Participant of the International Training Programme on Gender, Water and Equity organised by TISS, Mumbai, SOPPECOM and Saci WATERS and held in University of Mumbai (April 27 ? May 1, 2009).
- Participant, Managing Global Governance Programme, sponsored by Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development, Germany and undertaken by German Development Institute, Bonn (www.gc21.de/mgg and www.die-gdi.de) (July 2007 ? December 2007).
- Invited Online Lecture in the National Webinar on "IPR and Livelihoods: Geographical Indications of India", September 17, 2021 organised by IQAC & Research Committee, St. Dominic's College, Kanjirapally, Kottayam, Kerala (affiliated to MG University, Kottayam, reaccredited with A Grade by NAAC)
- Invited Online Lecture on "Climate Change, Biodiversity and Geographical Indications Tagged Products from India" in the Online Training Programme on Effects of Extreme Climate Events on Labour in Telangana: Challenges and Mitigation, organised by VV Giri National Labour Institute, NOIDA In collaboration with Council for Social Development, Hyderabad 27 – 30 September 2021
- Invited Online Lecture on 'Legal and Policy Issues related to people with Disabilities' at the 3-day workshop on Perspectives on Disability and Inclusion in Educational Settings, organised by AzimPremji School of Education at the Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Hyderabad on March 2, 2022.
- Invited Lecture on “Sustainable Development Goals and Disability: Covid-19, Online Education and Children with Disabilities” at Weekly Seminar Series at the Department of Liberal Arts, Indian Institute of Technology Hyderabad on 23 November 2022.
- Reviewer, Social Change
- Reviewer, Journal of World Intellectual Property
- Reviewer, Journal of Intellectual Property Rights
- Supervised Interns (4) from June 5 - August 5 as part of CSD Internship Programme.
Visiting Scholar at India Studies Centre, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand under ICSSR-NRCT Bilateral Exchange of Scholars Programme (February 5 ? 25, 2012).
Recipient of ICSSR Institutional Doctoral Fellowship from Centre for Economic and Social Studies, Hyderabad (February 2003 ? February 2006).