Ph.D. in Social Anthropology (with specialization in anthropology of public policy) from the University of Hyderabad with the support of ICSSR doctoral fellowship. Qualified in UGC-NET, published research articles and presented his research in conferences. Six years of working experience (including academic research and industry) across various institutions including institutions of national importance such as the National Institute for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj (NIRD & PR) and Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel National Police Academy (SVP-NPA). He has also worked as social and livelihood expert in Centre for Management and Social Research (CMSR) during which he was Team Leader for various projects including Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E), Baseline Survey, Social Impact Assessment (SIA), and Livelihood Enhancement Plan (LEP). Some of these are projects funded by ADB, AIIB, EIB, IFC and JICA. He also has working knowledge on Land Acquisition (LA), Resettlement and Rehabilitation (R&R), Resettlement Action Plan (RAP), Gender Action Plan (GAP) and Indigenous People Plan (IPP). He is presently directing a project to study “Covid-19 Impact on Workforce in the State of Telangana” funded by Department of Planning, Government of Telangana.
His research interests include public policy, development, livelihoods, inclusion, and technology.
- Raj K Kattula. 2022. Anthropological Reflections on Challenges in CommunicatingPolicies: A Case of Special Component Plan in N. Sudhakar Rao and Arbind Sinha(ed.) India's Development: Contributions of Anthropology of Communication,Media and Communication. Concept Publications Pp. 70-86. ISBN-13: 973-93-5439-023-4
- Raj Kumar Kattula (2016): The Hollowness of a Hallowed Policy: Emptiness of a Special Component Plan for Scheduled Castes, The International Journal of Humanities & Social Studies, Volume - 4, Issue - 9, September 2016, Pp 197-203. ISSN 2321 ?9203 2016.
- Raj Kumar Kattula (2020): Anthropological Reflections on Challenges in Communicating Policies: A Case of Special Component Plan in N. Sudhakar Rao (edited) India's Development: Contributions of Anthropology of Communication, Media and Communication, Concept Publications (in Press).
- Raj Kumar Kattula (2019) : uderstanding Exclusion of Tribes: Education and the Case of Koya Tribe in Andhra Pradesh, In M. C. Behera (ed.), Development and Tribes: Contemporary Issues and Challenges, New Delhi: Serial Publications Pvt. Ltd., pp.401-417. ISBN: 9789386611635.
- Project Director - Impact of Covid-19 on Livelihoods in the State of Telangana. Funded by Department of Planning, Government of Telangana. (Ongoing Since September, 2021).
- Team Lead as M&E Expert - Monitoring and Evaluation of Implementation of Social Safeguards (RAP and IPP) for National High Speed Rail Corporation Limited (NHSRCL), within Maharashtra Jurisdiction (Mumbai and Thane), 20/06/2020 - 20/06/2021. Funded by JICA.
- Team Lead as Social & Livelihood Expert - Preparation and Implementation of Livelihood Enhancement Plan (LEP) for NAM Expressway Limited (NAMEL), 16/09/2019 - 30/07/2021. Funded by IFC.
- Team Lead as Social Expert - Baseline Socio-Economic Survey in Prakasam District of Andhra Pradesh for Andhra Pradesh Rural Water Supply Projects. Funded by ADB.
- Team Lead as Social Expert - Conducting Social Impact Assessment (SIA) and Preparation of Resettlement Action Plan (RAP) for Bhopal Metro Rail Project. 16/09/2019 - 30/07/2021. Funded by EIB.
- Social Impact Assessment for Andhra Pradesh Urban Water Supply Project for 21 ULBs. Completed in 2020. Funded by APUFIDC, Government of Andhra Pradesh and Asian Infrastructure and Investment Bank (AIIB).
- Coordinator, Four Day Workshop on “Researching Everyday Lives: Workshop on Ethnography” during 20-23 December 2021.
- Co-chaired a session “Mixed Themes” in the Indian Anthropology Congress held at University of Hyderabad organized by Department of Anthropology, UoH in Association with INCA and ICSSR during 21 - 23 February 2022.
- Coordinator, National Conference on “Many Facets of Covid-19 Pandemic” during 1-2 March 2022. Now working towards publishing its outcome.
- Presented a paper on “Understanding the Multi-layered Effects of Covid-19 among Scheduled Caste Workers in Unorganized Sector in Telangana” in a national seminar conducted by CSD in collaboration with GITAM, Hyderabad during Nov, 24-25, 2022.
- Invited as a resource person to speak on “Covid-19 Impact on Livelihood in Telangana”, in a workshop conducted by Centre for Wage Employment and Livelihood @ NIRD&PR held on 18th October, 2022.
- Anthropological Reflections on Challenges in Communicating Policies: A Case of Special Component Plan in a Seminar on ‘Culture, Communication and India’s Development: Contributions of Anthropology of Communication, Media and Communication’, Organised by Department of Anthropology, UoH during 27- 29 August, 2019.
- Scheduled Castes and Quality of Education in Andhra Pradesh: A Case of Sarva Siksha Abhiyan in a Seminar on ‘Quality of Education’ organized by National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRD&PR), Hyderabad during 21-23, March, 2018
- Participated in UNU-WIDER development conference on “COVID-19 and development ? effects and new realities for the Global South” held during 6-8 September 2021 (online).
- Symposium on International Experience with Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) in Government, Organized by Indian School of Business (ISB), Hyderabad on 18/09/2015.
- Attended data analysis workshop held at Directorate of Economics and Statistics from 13 September 2021 to 14 September 2021.
- Attended Training Programme on “Effects of Extreme Climate Events on Labour in Telangana: Challenges and Mitigation", jointly organised by CSD, Hyderabad and V.V. Giri National Labour Institute, Noida, 27-30 September 2021 (Online).
- Mentor for a group of Participants in the “Academic Writing Workshop” organised by CSD during 21 March to 1 April 2022.
- Organizing committee member for the upcoming biennial world congress on the theme “Anthropological Perspectives on Contemporary Human Problems” which will be held at University of Kansas, USA, organized by Anthropological Association for Humankind (AAH) in collaboration with University of Kansas between 31st May and 3rd June, 2023.
- Attended book opening event “Whole Numbers and Half Truths: What Data Can and Cannot Tell Us About Modern India” held on 5th Sep, 2022.
Membership in Professional Bodies
- Founding Governing Council Member in Anthropological Association for Humankind (AAH) (www.aafh.in )
Awards / Fellowships / Certificates
- Received ICSSR Doctoral Fellowship as a financial support for Ph.D. programme
- Qualified UGC-NET
- Completed Refreshers Course in Research Methodology, funded by University Grants Commission (UGC) and Conducted by Academic Staff Collage, UoH.
- PG Diploma in Computer Application (PGDCA).